Sign in 
Sign up

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to frequently asked questions about citizenship applications, petitions for alien relatives, and green card renewals. 

Application for naturalization Form N-400

Form N-400, “Application for Naturalization,” is the application that green card holders use to apply for U.S. citizenship after meeting some requirements.

You can check USCIS eligibility requirements or take our self-diagnosis test to find out if you qualify for a citizenship application.

You can download Form N-400 from USCIS page, or complete your application online. If you choose Together Direct’s service, we simplify this step. 

The current fee for Form N-400 is $725.

There are a lot of factors that can affect the processing time of your application. After filing Form N-400, the entire naturalization process can take from 8 to 12 months for most people. 

Yes, unless you qualify for an exemption. In most cases, if your application is approved, you will have to go through an interview with a USCIS officer where your English abilities will be evaluated. 

In most cases you need to be able to prove your continuous residence in the U.S. for at least 5 years and that you’ve been physically present in the country for 30 months. 

Yes. If you’re a green card holder, you can apply for citizenship if your trip did not last more than 6 months. In that case, you should prepare with the necessary evidence.

You have to wait 5 years as a permanent resident to apply for citizenship. If you acquired lawful permanent residence and are still married to the person who petitioned you, you may apply after 3 years of residence in the United States.

Your time as a permanent resident begins on the date you were granted your permanent resident status. The date is on your permanent resident card.

You can get a look at this complete checklist to help prepare your documents before filing Form N-400.

Yes, you can apply for citizenship through marriage if you’ve been married for at least three years. 

Yes, if both of your tax statements have the same address and can prove you live in marital union through other means.

You can apply for citizenship with overdue taxes, but you’ll need to show a signed agreement from the IRS office stating that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes your owe. It’s best to get professional help for this.

If you are a male between 18 and 26 years of age, you should register in the Selective Service System and prove it in your citizenship application.

Petition for alien relative
Form I-130

Form I-130 is the form that a qualified U.S Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident files to establish his or her relationship with a relative wanting to immigrate to the United States.

If you’re a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States you may file form I-130 for certain relatives. Who you can file for depends on whether you are a US Citizen, a lawful permanent resident, and several other factors.


If you are a U.S. Citizen you may file form I-130 for

  • Your spouse.
  • Your unmarried children (under 21 years of age).
  • Your married or unmarried sons or daughters of any age.
  • Your siblings or parents (you must be 21 years of age or older).


If you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States you may file form I-130 for

  • Your spouse.
  • Your unmarried children (under 21 years of age).
  • Your unmarried son or daughter.

You can find Form I-130 on USCIS website and print it or complete it online. You can also get it from your local USCIS office.

The current fee for Form I-130 is $535.

Our list of requirements to petition an alien relative can help you prepare before filing the form. 

There are certain requirements you’ll need to meet to bring your spouse with you. Check the process and some tips to help you prove a bona fide marriage


Depending on the family member you are going to sponsor, there are different documents you´ll need to gather, here is a list of documents you’ll need in each case.

You can sponsor all your eligible relatives as long as you meet the financial requirements.

You can pay the fee through a money order or a check. Read these instructions to pay the I-130 fee to make the process easier.

The processing times for family petitions vary for U.S citizens and permanent residents. Petition for spouses and immediate relatives are usually adjudicated within a year for citizens, but permanent residents can wait more than a year for their petitions to be approved.

Application to replace
permanent resident card
Form I-90

Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) is the application to replace or renew a Green Card.

If your green card is going to expire in the next 6 months or you have lost it. You must submit Form I-90.

The average processing time is between 1.5 months and a year for renewals. Replacements can take up to 13 months, but wait time can vary depending on USCIS workload and the applicant’s situation.

The current fee for Form I-90 is $535.

Our list of requirements to petition an alien relative can help you prepare before filing the form.